Thursday, March 31, 2016

March Book Reviews


Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

This book is important and so very relevant.  Azar Nafisi wrote about her time teaching literature in Tehran in the early 80's.  During that time, Sharia law was forced on the people of Iran.  They had to comply or go to prison, where most were raped multiple times before being executed.  The fear of that situation, of having your home turn against you, and having your religion corrupted and used to oppress you, is something I had never contemplated to such an extent.  While I didn't enjoy much of the book (she referenced multiple works of American literature and so there was a lot lost if you haven't read them, and I'd only read some of them), and I thought her depictions of some of her students were too complicated and impossible to distinguish as a reader, I think that the overall message was something we all really need to hear.  Yes, there are peaceful muslims.  But there are also a significant number of muslims using their religion to destroy everything they come into contact with.  It happened to the people of Iran 30 years ago.




It's Not My Fault by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend


This book was terrible.  I would have quit 2/3 of the way through but by that point I'd put too much into it and I wanted to count it on Goodreads.  The things I sacrifice.  Where do I begin?  These are the authors of the book Boundaries, which I read years ago and really liked, which is when I bought this one.  I decided to read it because I thought it would help me get over some of my frustration with having chronic pain and help me figure out how to still do things and have a life.  But it's very shallow and condescending and full of cliches and I really hate it.






Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth


I loved these movies and thought that it would be fun to read the books as well.  Despite being long, these are very fast reads.  They're not especially well-written, and there are definitely some overly-commercial, stupid teenage love story sort of things that bug me.  But I love the world they're set in, the philosophy behind it, and the interesting characters.  I'm super excited to read book #3 before I see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment