Monday, October 5, 2015

When the World Is Broken

I don't watch the news much because I find it depressing.  Even so, I read my fair share of articles about really depressing things.  Mostly I do this because I think it's important to know what's going on in the world even if it's bad (maybe especially when it's bad).

There's been a lot of bad lately.  Look up the refugee crisis in Syria if you don't know what I'm talking about.  That's not the only thing, but it's a big one.

And there are people I know personally who are hurting.  Whether from chance or their own mistakes or evil that resides in the world, they've been hurt.

There are days when I think about all of the pain in the world and I know that if I really understood even a fraction of it I would be completely overwhelmed.  And that makes me want to run from the pain and ignore the world and its problems.

I like to remember this quotation.  I heard it a long time ago and didn't remember what it was from.  I was hoping it was a Bible verse but I was wrong.  It turns out that Bob Pierce wrote these words in his Bible (that counts, right?) after visiting suffering children in Korea.




So if you're overwhelmed by the evil, or pain, or grief in the world, be encouraged by this.  These things hurt us because they hurt God.  God is with us in our pain and heartache.  And really, isn't it better to grieve the pain in the world than to ignore it?

To be honest, this is why I believe in God.  I have logical reasons, but at times like this those aren't what I think of.  I believe in God because I can't not believe in God.  I can't live in a world where horrible things happen to people for no reason and no one cares.  I have to believe that there is a God who, though it breaks his heart, sees our pain and cries with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment