Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book #22 "The Educated Imagination" by Northrop Frye

This was another of the books from my modern lit class that I never read in college.  Sorry Dr. Thurber!

This book is actually the transcript from a series of six speeches about literature.  Frye discusses imagination, reality, writing, and education.  I was surprised at how interesting I found it.  There were several interesting points about the way that literature builds on the books and stories before it, so that something is lost by not understanding when one book refers to another, and that our literary education is less about reading certain books and more about reading a large number of books because it creates a framework for understanding all of literature and human history, and human nature.

I think this is a good book for people interested in studying literature (not necessarily only for writers).

No comments:

Post a Comment