Sunday, August 9, 2015

Book #7 "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

It feels wrong to describe a book about teenagers dying of cancer as beautiful, but it is.  This book is very real without being depressing.  There's a lot that's left unresolved, although the author kindly hints at the future so you don't feel concerned when it ends.  There's also a sense of fate throughout the novel, which makes sense, given the title.

What I love the most about this book were the many clever and beautiful phrases that were new and perfect and made me stop and appreciate them before moving on.  I'm not going to spoil them for you by printing them here, so you'll have to find them on your own.  There were entire chapters that were just so lovely and pleasant to read, and contrast highly with later chapters.  I found myself wanting to go back to the dreamy, sunny feel of the beginning of the book.  I'm sure the characters felt the same way.

This book was frustratingly imperfect.  Because it was so beautiful, I wanted everything to be neat, but it was sort of messy.  This probably makes zero sense to anyone who hasn't read the book.  I guess I'm trying to explain without ruining it.  Ultimately, this book was amazing.  I wish I'd read it earlier, in high school or college, because I think it's written for that audience.  I've already added all of John Green's other books to my wish list and plan to read them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment