Thursday, July 23, 2015

Book #4 "For Women Only: What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men" by Shaunti Feldhahn

I watched a talk (I think it was a Ted Talk) by the author of this book that was fascinating.  So then I researched her a bit more and found out that she has this series of books.  There's another one for men, one for teenage girls, and one for teenage boys.  I typically don't read this sort of book, but I found her so interesting that I decided to try it.

The book covers touchy marital topics (and the things most likely to lead to breakups) such as sex, respect, money, appearance, etc.  The author surveyed hundreds of men on these topics and then followed up in detail with a few men to find out why they answered the way they did.  It's scary starting each new section, mostly because the initial results of the survey can be upsetting.  I kept having this "Men are pigs!  How can they think that?!" reaction, but by the time I'd finished the chapter I understood where the response was coming from and it made a lot of sense.

I'd also like to read the "For Men Only" book to see how closely I relate to the average woman.  I think it would be great to read the pair of books together as a couple and discuss all of these topics.

Ultimately, this book is helpful in understanding how men's brains work and I think it's a valuable book for any woman to read, married or single.  I know there are a lot of books similar to this, but I appreciated the large amount of research that went into this one.  It was also concise and a very quick read.  I intentionally made myself read is slowly to absorb more of the information.  I'm keeping it to read again in a few years - probably after one of those "what is he thinking?!" moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment