Monday, May 18, 2015

Rediscovering My Passion for Reading

I grew up in a house that was filled with books.  I had books, my parents had books, and we made weekly trips to the library and brought home piles of new books.  My mom read The Chronicles of Narnia and the Little House books to me starting before I could even read.  We barely watched television, but would frequently spend an afternoon sitting around the livingroom reading our own stories.

As an older child, I would get lost in the world of Redwall, finishing an entire book in one day, and spend the evening feeling like I didn't really belong to the world around me.  While we were eating dinner, I was still mourning the loss of a beloved badger.

In high school I kept reading, enjoying most of what I read for class, plus reading all of Ray Bradbury for the second time along with massive biographies my parents recommended.  Undaunted Courage, anyone?

It was in college, while completing an English degree, taking multiple literature classes every semester, that I stopped reading.  A lot of people say that they stop reading for fun because of school.  Once it's homework, it's no longer fun.  That wasn't the case for me.  I loved reading books for class, discussing them with small groups of people in Modern Lit with Dr. Thurber.  I learned to appreciate Shakespeare, and discovered the amazing world of adolescent lit that I'd missed out on as an adolescent.  But because I was so busy reading all of these books for class, I didn't have time to read anything on my own.  So I just stopped finding books to read, and going to bed an hour early so I could read several chapters, and staying up until 2am to see how it all ended.  I just got out of the habit.

I started making yearly goals a few years ago, rather than resolutions.  The not reading thing had been bothering me for quite a while, so I decided to make a goal of reading 25 books this year.  I figure 2 per month, plus one short one along the way.  Now I realize that it's partway through May that I'm posting this, but I really did start in January.  Over the next few months I'll be catching up on reviews for the books I've already finished, along with some new ones.  I thought it would be fun to not only keep track to see if I can actually reach my goal, but to have a record of the books I read and my thoughts on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment