Monday, October 3, 2011

Cats

---To a dog you are a friend, but to a cat you are a lover. ---

I have had three cats as an adult, and all three of them have hated my husband. Our vet said it might be some weird pheromone that he's putting off that offends the cats. I think it's because he plays with them the same way you would play with a dog, and they despise him for this attack on their dignity.

Regardless, it creates this awkward love triangle where the cat and I love each other, Greg and I love each other, Greg tries to be nice to the cat for the sake of harmonious living, and the cat despises Greg and quietly plots his demise.

Add to this our ever-so-slightly-below-average dog and things get really interesting. Joey loves everyone. (All adults, that is, children creep him out.) While our cat can be compared to a moody frat boy, Joey is like an eternal toddler. He meets me at the door when I get home from work bouncing off the floor shouting "MOMMY! MOMMY! YOU'RE HOME! I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN! MOMMY! MOMMY! MOMMY! I LOVE YOU! MOMMY! MOMMY!" while the cat sits back a few feet, nods his head at me college-boy style, and says "oh, hey, it's you...sup?..." He tries to play it cool and act like he doesn't remember the 9 pm cuddles and the 6 am belly rubs. Which is ok, I guess. I try not to be needy.

EDIT 7/14/15:  Greg discovered my blog the other day and complained that this post was not accurate.  It was accurate when I wrote it, but since that time our cat has fallen madly in love with Greg.  When Greg picks up the nail clippers, Cooper comes running, asking him to trim his nails.  When Greg is sleeping, Cooper sleeps on his chest.  When Greg is watching tv, Cooper lays on his back in Greg's arms and gazes at him adoringly.  It's basically disgusting.

2 comments:

  1. This made me giggle. A lot. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha we have 3 cats and I love any story involving kitties. :) Have you ever read the blog Cat vs. Human?

    www.catversushuman.blogspot.com

    So many great cartoons about cats/cat owners. I am convinced that they are basically all the same. :P

    ReplyDelete